- Commit to the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with HIV/AIDS (GIPA/MIPA); GIPA/MIPA puts PHAs at the centre and is grounded in human rights and the dignity of the full human being
- Aim to transform all who live with, work in, and are affected by, HIV/AIDS in Ontario
- Commit to personal and social transformation
- Value community expertise in embracing the challenge for the betterment of society
- Value inclusion over exclusion, a quest for integrity at all times and the embodiment of self-determination
- Promote the evolution of thought, action and collaboration among us and with our allies
Because GIPA/MIPA is about human struggles and aspirations, ethics, empowerment and accountability are its foundation.”
We acknowledge that Greater involvement of people with HIV/AIDS (GIPA) is never achieved once and for all; it is a goal and commitment that must be continually renewed. GIPA is a practice, not a project, and is similar to all other accountabilities of healthy HIV organizing and service delivery. Our practices in AIDS service organizations (ASOs) must be continually re-evaluated in light of the changing realities of HIV/AIDS and of those living with it.
Within the North American context, GIPA principles have often been considered as only applying to persons living with HIV/AIDS. We affirm that GIPA concerns all who live with, work in, and are affected by, HIV/AIDS. Another way of stating this is that GIPA engages people with HIV/AIDS and their allies in a culture of inclusivity intended to foster an expanding and inclusive approach that embraces HIV Positive individuals in all their diversity and circumstances and includes those affected by HIV/AIDS and all allies. In naming this accord, “The Ontario Accord” we acknowledge the foundational work that continues to inspire us and have continued the precedent of naming our work after its geographic birthplace. We invite citizens of the world to join us in our efforts and organizations globally to affirm their support of the Ontario Accord.