Bruce House has always been privileged to receive tremendous community support. Government funding only covers half our budget—we are dependent on one-time grants, donations, and fundraising events to provide housing, hope, and support for people impacted by HIV. This year we saw a surge of support which warmed our hearts and made a huge difference in our ability to support our clients!
We all know that planning an event takes time. When people and groups in the community plan an event for us, a “third party” event, they generously give of their time so that our clients can benefit from the funds raised with little or no demand on our staff resources. With only six full-time and two part-time staff, third-party events are a real gift to Bruce House.
August 2019 saw over $26,000 raised for Bruce House through third-party events!!!!
August started with Living Colour Tattoo’s Living Colour Loves You [link] which raised $5600 and two large bins of personal care items for the Pantry Program. Pride saw events at Swizzles [link], Starbucks (Bank at Cooper) [link], the TD Block Party, and the community fair. Let’s not forget the amazerrific annual events: The National Capital Pride Run [link] which raised an incredible $7400, and Drag & Balls [link] which again beat its record, raising $10,300.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
In addition to proving funds for our Apartment Program (a.k.a. SILP), doing outreach and a variety of supports to clients in their homes (REST Program) and direct client services provided by our Volunteer Program, these funds allow us to:
- Purchase gift cards, personal care items, household essentials, and food for clients in need.
- Provide funds to allow Volunteer Buddies to take clients out for coffee and a treat.
- Assist clients with extraordinary costs such as medical devices, supplies, or procedures not covered by OHIP or ODSP; medically required foods; replace or repair broken small appliances; respite care; etc.
- Purchase supplies for the Health & Wellness Program, including the Community Kitchen, Arts & Crafts Afternoons, and Client Socials.
- Provide meals for clients at socials, game nights, movie nights, workshops, etc.
- and more…
Did we say, “Thank You”?